Most often people hit the gym or start an exercise routine to build their physical health, lose weight, rehabilitate or get a great body, often ignoring that exercise has huge above the neck benefits. Exercise boost brain function, helps de-stress and gives you an overall sense of wellbeing. Here’s how:
• If you have had a rough day at work, you should try a quick workout or go for a walk to get some air and clear your head. Stress relief is the most common benefit of exercise. When you exercise a chemical is released that moderates the brain’s response to stress. By exercising regularly, you boost the body’s ability to deal with mental tension. Ø Physical fitness increases self esteem and improves self image. Regardless of age, gender or size, if you exercise, you are likely to feel good about yourself and it shows in your self confidence.
• Exercise can be tough but it is totally worth it. Exercise releases endorphins which creates the feelings of happiness. IT also alleviates symptoms of depression and anxiety. Just 30 minutes of exercise a few times a week can be a mood enhancer.
• As we get older, our cognitive ability often declines, often after age 45. To stay sharp and avoid degenerative diseases caused by aging, exercise is a must. It’s especially beneficial if you have a regular exercise regimen between the ages of 25 to 45. Exercise is known to help with brain power: decision making, higher thinking, learning and memory.
• If you have a hard time falling asleep, instead of taking a pill, try moderate exercise. For many people, even those who have been on regular sleeping pills, exercise has helped. Exercise raises the body’s core temperature, and when done a few hours before bed time helps because as the body temperature drops back to normal, it signals the body that it is time to sleep.
• People who exercise regularly are known to be able to get more done than their sedentary counterparts as they have more energy and are more productive. If getting in regular exercise is a problem during mornings and evenings, try a mid day gym session.
Engage in a sport, get a gym buddy, join or group class or workout alone, whatever you choose know that exercise benefits more than your body, its great for your mind too!