The Regional Office South Asia of the Friedrich Naumann Foundation for Freedom (FNF), in collaboration with the Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany in Kathmandu and the German Nepal Friendship Association, announced the commencement of the 2 day-long Born with Pride Conference in Hotel Himalaya, Kathmandu, from September 27-28, 2022.
The primary objective of the conference is to engage in conversation with multiple stakeholders such as LGBTQIA+ communities, politicians, activists, academicians, lawyers, organisations and civil society.
21 speakers from 7 South Asian Countries as well as from Europe and the Tibetan community are attending the 2 days-long events. The conference also has 8 keynote speakers from across the Nepali and European political spectrum addressing various LGBTQIA+ community issues. There are 5 interactive sessions during the conference to discuss multiple topics such as the queer in power, inclusive digital spaces for queer persons, the issue of legal recognition, the role of media, and the acceptance and integration of queer persons in civil society.
Distinguished keynote speakers include:
· Gagan Thapa – House of Representatives, Nepal
· Yannick Shetty – Member of Austrian Parliament
· Jürgen Lenders – Member of Parliament, German Bundestag
· Dr Carsten Klein – Head of FNF Regional Office, New Delhi
· Alka Khanal – German Nepal Friendship Association
· Tashi Choden Chombal – Miss Bhutan 2022
· Sabrina Schmidt-Koschella – Consul and Head of Administration, Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany, Kathmandu
· H.E. Dr Thomas Prinz – Ambassador of the Federal Republic of Germany to Nepal
The event will conclude with the prize distribution for the Winners of the Born with Pride Visual Art Competition that was organised online before the conference.